So you think this is mature?

Let's get a couple of things straight before I start posting.

I have a fairly close friend at school. She is very nice and very loyal, but not the brightest bulb in the shop. I won't post her name, because even if I'm annoyed I do still like her and I don't really want the entire internet poking fun at this girl.

Anyway, said friend, another girl and I were standing in the quad at school (we call it a quad: basically, it's a lethal area where cars park, people walk around, and drama is played out gloriously and well). We were walking around aimlessly and gabbling about nothing in particular, when along comes a blonde-haired, blue-eyed douchebag with whom my friend has an...ahem...complicated history. She instantly suggests we go the opposite direction to him.

Me: You're changing direction because of some random guy? Please.

Her (taking me by the shoulders): You don't understand this stuff yet!

Notwithstanding the fact that I'm her age, have gone out with guys, and have had my own massive crush on a blonde-haired, blue-eyed guy, I protest and tell her her actions aren't sensible. There was a clear implication of immaturity in her words.

So I get quite pissed off and I talk to another acquaintance about it, and the subject seems forgotten until today, when my friend randomly brings it up, saying that she wasn't saying I was immature, just that I wasn't the kind to go out with guys. I apologised for being pissed off with her and the case was closed, but...

...She implied that because I don't act like an idiot around hot guys, I must be asexual.

Firstly, I'm not asexual. I've dated before and I've crushed on guys before. As of this post, I'm not even fifteen yet (though I will be in less than two months), so I doubt I've truly been in love.

Secondly, not running away from boys doesn't make me immature or not fit to understand these things. I'm in no position to know what it does make me, seeing as I haven't been out with many boys, but I can hazard a guess: I think it makes me sensible.

Why should I treat half of the human race like aliens and act oddly around them? I don't think boys find it cute or sexy when girls do that (if you're a teenage guy, feel free to give me your opinion on this), and to be frank I wouldn't care if they did - I care more about my own dignity and being accountable to myself than being accountable to some other demographic. (This is one of the reasons I can't find a boyfriend. The others are being fuckugly, being smart and generally scaring them all off.) I don't know if you've noticed lately, but guys are not like Rubik's Cubes with six-packs and dicks - they're people, and they should be treated like normal people, not like sacred mysteries.

To be honest, I can't vouch for how well that method works, because I don't date much. Maybe boys find being treated like an object of awe and wonder cool or empowering. Maybe it turns them on. I don't know. What I do know is that while I don't have a boyfriend, I have a lot of good male friends and guys respect me for who I am. Do I know if the girls who act like idiots have that? No. But I'm not betting on it.

Comments