Some things I was thinking about

So I've moved into my new flat and everything's sort of okay-ish, barring the fact that it took me two weeks to get hot water coming out of the taps. That was not cool. But my flatmates are all really nice - and all girls.

To be honest, I wasn't too fussed about this at first, though given that most of the first-year boys I've met consider cooking to be a dark art and are even messier than I am I'm thankful that our kitchen is reasonably clean.

It's just that...well...some people extol the virtues of living in all-female environments because there are no yucky, gross men to cause drama (apparently flatmates getting together and breaking up is a huge source of  drama for everyone else) or prey on us vulnerable women.

This makes sense given two assumptions:
1. Everyone is straight.
2. If you are sexually attracted to someone, you will act predatory towards them.

Both assumptions are bullshit, but surprisingly few people question them. And both hurt an awful lot of people, including women who are attracted to women. Like me.

I've posted about this before, but I'm as bisexual as a...well...a thing that's blue and pink and purple all over. Now that I'm in Manchester I've joined our local LGBTQ+ Society and I feel a little bit more confident about being out. Only a little bit more confident, though, because there are still people who seem to treat not being cis and straight as a very bad thing indeed. And one of the things that annoys and upsets me is when straight people assume that I'm going to creep on them. Or when they assume that I simply don't exist.

I guess what I'm asking is for people to abandon heteronormativity (as I always am) and to abandon this stupid notion that if I like girls, I'm obviously going to violate some poor, innocent, pure straight woman with my filthy bisexuality. You may be trying to keep women safe, but when you're hurting other men and women you're doing a pretty shit job of that.

Comments