And so the world turns...

...or, in other news, it's my birthday. I'm 15 today, if you didn't know, and this seems to be the only day where I've blogged on time. (I missed Christmas and New Year's, and now I feel selfish for remembering my birthday...never mind.)

I didn't really expect much from today: my last two birthdays weren't any fun for various reasons, and I hate Tuesdays because of PE and Games. Bleh. But I was happily proven quite wrong, as people actually went out of their way to be nice to me today, which was a pretty good feeling, and some other good stuff happened too.

Firstly, we finally got this year's issue of our school magazine, something I always look forward to: I know it sounds sad, but I like it because it gives me a chance to look back on the year before and what I've done. This time I contributed to it, so I was quite pleased with myself, and I got a good laugh out of seeing how much of a dork I looked in the photos. It reminded me of just how much I did last year and how fun it was to do, and although I cringed at my bad French in one of the articles I was pleased to see a mammoth feature I did on Stanley Owen Buckmaster, an old boy of my school and a former Chancellor of the Exchequer (if my memory serves me correctly). Secondly, this term is the dance season at my school and some people have dance on Tuesday Games. I turned up to the dance trials and...I passed. So now I'm in the school dance show, something I've always really enjoyed being in (even though I sadly missed it last year due to an epic combination of the Polish Exchange and bronchitis...but that's a different story) and something I didn't think I would get to do this year for various reasons. Finally, one of the only reasons I drag myself to school on a Tuesday came to pass. That reason is choir, and we just had a breather period concentrating on technique (listening to each other, being alert, etc.), which I didn't really mind...except then the teacher asked me to conduct the piece we were doing while he played the organ. As a bit of background, I don't do music GCSEs, I'm not a music scholar, I'm only in year 10, and there are older, more qualified musicians in our school choir. So it was a bit of a shock - actually, a lot of a shock, especially as conducting (for those of you who haven't done any) is hard. It's a lot harder than it looks, especially when you're only using one hand to beat time, crescendo, diminuendo, bring people off...you get the picture; and as expected for someone like me, I screwed up. I screwed up quite a lot, in fact. Apparently I still did quite well and the trick is confidence, according to the guy who won the prize for Best Conductor in our House Music and whose conducting the adjudicator called the most musical in anyone she'd seen under 18. That guy screwed up quite a lot conducting too, which makes me laugh when I think of the adjudicator's comment...oh well, I still have time to become less of a fail musically.

So all in all, a good day for an anniversary, I think. Because it's a school night and they work us like slaves there, I can't really open presents or celebrate 'til Saturday - but I think it'll be a good day.

Comments