I update far too much...

...but I feel this is necessary. However, I'm not the ultimate authority on necessity, so your mileage may vary.

Thankfully, I was brought up in a decent home, which means I'm not as screwed up as I could have been. I'm still pretty messed up in some ways, but they're not bad enough for me to have been diagnosed with some weird condition. Thankfully, most of the people around me are not complete bastards, and I have enough friends and family to support me when I'm down.

I could write "thank you" on every single particle in the observable universe and I still wouldn't be showing enough gratitude to my loved ones for being there for me, but that's another story. No, my rant of the day is about how people act like they're genuinely depressed, when actually they're just trying to get attention.

I would now like to state again that I have NOT studied any psychology and any corrections would be very, very welcome. I would also like to state that I think there may be overlap between "having a genuine problem" and "attention-seeking", but I highly doubt I'm dealing with those people here.

I'm talking about the people who, rather than confiding in friends or family, or even a diary or a counselor, decide to spew their problems all over the Internet and bawww about how unloved they are. Having been in a not-so-great position myself, I understand how hard it is to talk to other people about what you're going through - breaking down in tears when you try to speak is really, really humiliating, especially if you're normally quite proud like I am - but opening your heart, which is a very fragile thing, to people you've never met and are more likely than not to dismiss your troubles? Really? I smell attention-seeking. I know some people talk about what they've gone through publicly and quite frequently, and I know I'm doing the same now, but generally they don't do that when they're going through it. I'm also talking about the people who'll harm themselves or try things which clearly don't work to get attention, because harming yourself for just fifteen minutes of fame is a pretty retarded thing to do, to be honest. Deliberately trying to commit suicide using a method you know won't work (yes, I do know someone who tried this, but I won't speak about the details because, while I'm a bitch, I'm working on reining in my bitchiness and I won't put the details of someone else's private life up for the world to see) is possibly even stupider. Who tries to kill themselves using a method they know won't work? Worse, who does that and then tells everyone about their suicide attempt?

These people also tend to talk about how unloved they are and about how special and unique they are compared to the rest of this universe, while getting their facts sadly wrong. Generally, the really smart people tend to talk like this rather than type like dis and have enough intelligence to string together a coherent sentence, and the really talented people have evidence for their talent.

I don't begrudge these people the right to be sad, and I don't think they're making up everything they say. But I'm angry with them for daring to pretend that they have the problems of people with depression or bipolar disorder, or the problems of people whose lives are tens of thousands of millions more times fucked up than the pampered little attention-seekers could ever imagine. I'm angry with them for pushing their friends and family away, and I'm angry with them for pushing away the people who are trying to offer them help. I'm angry  with them for faking something that is real for millions of people around the world, and I'm angry with them for treating it like some sort of twisted game.

Sadness is not a game.
Depression is not a game.
Bullying is not a game.
Self-harm is not a game.
Suicide is not a game.
Do I need to go on?

Comments